Venue: Conference Hall, Office of Deputy Chief Minister, Delhi Secretariat, GNCT of Delhi
Recently, on 10th September, 2018, we held our Delhi State Level Consultation on the Implementation of Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act 2013 for Informal Sector Women Workers. Shri Manish Sisodia, Hon. Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi presided over the event as the Chief Guest. He recognized the need for setting up a strong redressal mechanism and said that the Local Committees will be immediately set up in all the districts of Delhi.
Following his commitment at the consultation on the 10th, the Dy Chief Minister called for a meeting on 17th September, 2018, of all the District Magistrates/ Deputy Commissioners from all the 11 districts of Delhi and officials from Department of Women and Child Department (WCD). In the meeting he took the stock of the situation from the officers present and instructed to not just comply with the law but also make the districts safe workplaces, as in the true spirit of the law. Major highlights of the discussion were as follows:
● Formation of Local Committee in the all those districts of Delhi, where they are still not present
● Office space should be given to the committees in the district head quarter
● One nodal officer should be designated at the district head quarter to take all the complaints coming directly to the district authority
● Proper information to be displayed at the district head quarter to support the workers who are coming to file a complaint
● All the District Magistrates will make it pre requisite to have an internal committee on prevention of sexual harassment for all the government tender/ contracts
● The state will launch an awareness campaign where they will make use of radio, newspaper advertisements, cinema halls etc. The minister has asked MFF team to support in designing the creative content for this campaign
● The Minister also ordered that by 30th November 2018, all formal institutions and organisations will be mandated to form their Internal Committees and avail a certificate from the District Office, failing which punitive action will be taken against such institutions.
We congratulate the State Government for Delhi for their endeavour towards enabling safe and dignified workplaces for women workers, especially informal sector women workers. The media reportage of this meeting in The Pioneer can be read here:
The Tribune: http://www.tribunenewsline.com/deputy-cm-reviews-implementation-prevention-sexual-harassment-women-workplace-act-2013-skvyas-new-delhiseptember172018-deputy-chief-minister-manish-sisodia-monday-chair/